North Shore Marine Non-Profit Seeking Summer Research Graduate or Undergraduate Interns
Mālama Pūpūkea-Waimea (MPW), a North Shore, Oʻahu, Hawaiʻi, community non-profit with a marine stewardship mission focused on protecting the Pupukea Marine Life Conservation District, is seeking research interns for Summer 2019.
This MPW Summer Research Internship:
– Is open to both undergraduate and graduate students, with a preference for students from universities in Hawaii;
– Research should be focused on the Pūpūkea Marine Life Conservation District and/or the ahupuaʻa of Pūpūkea;
– Disciplines can include marine science, water quality, culture, policy, and law;
– Supervision by MPW Board, Staff, and Advisory Board members with matching expertise and backgrounds;
– Knowledge of and previous experience with Hawaiian marine ecosystems, management, and culture highly preferred;
– Flexible hours, with minimum 100 hours and draft report expected over the Summer months, and final report by December 2019;
– extensive opportunities for field work and community engagement;
– benefits may include temporary housing and stipend, depending on the research proposal and need.
Beginning February 15, 2019 and no later than April 15, 2019, apply by sending (a) resume, (b) research proposal (2 pages max), and (c) cover letter to email@example.com. Please also indicate if you have an academic supervisor interested in providing you institutional credit or non-credit project supervision.
As examples of very successful research internships for MPW, please see:
Anne Rosinski Chung’s Tidepool Study (Summer 2012 – University of Miami, Masters Thesis) (Anne received her PhD from the University of Hawai’i at Mānoa in 2018)
Marina Ann Zannino’s Sea Cucumber Assessment (Summer 2015 – East Stroudsburg University, Bachelorʻs of Science degree) (Marina is now studying Marine Biology in Graduate School in Texas)
For more about the science of the MLCD, go here: http://pupukeawaimea.org/pupukea-waimea-mcld/science-research/
Here’s what Marina Zannino said about her MPW internship: “I wanted to personally thank you for the internship cause without it I wouldn’t have graduated!”